Sunday, January 11, 2009

Squirrels & Seasonal Eczema: A Maternal Opera (of Sorts)

A thread (verbatim) from the AustinMamas discussion group, in all its frayed and glorious disorder . . . a real tour de force embodying the struggles of modern day motherhood:

Original message from Meghan to set the stage for high drama:
"So, do you think that if I dust my succulents with cayenne that the squirrels will stop eating it? they are munchin' on my aloe (which I know has GOT to be giving them the runs), but also the birdseed that is coming from my neighbors upstairs. I dusted with cinnamon today to rid the ants that have shown up recently. you should have seen them eating the neighbors jack-o-lanterns. Times they must be a rough out in the trees, maybe the lack of rain? I've never seen them like this and we've lived here for years. hmmm, thoughts?"

First response, from Cynthia to Meghan:
"In the past I've used cayenne on my tomatoes and peppers and it has worked well. However...It did not work on my jack-o-lantern pumpkin!They knawed through it in 3 days, a week before I had planned to carve it. GRRRR. I hate the tree rodents!"

Second response (or bizarre pseudo-soliloquy number one), from Elizabeth to others:
"So far, knock wood, the owl is working to keep them from gnawing the trampoline net. I wonder how much longer that will last...They do seem to be much more frantic in their squirrel burying this year, but maybe that's my imagination."

Third response, from Arden to Elizabeth (sustaining the tangent):
"I agree, they're totally frantic this year. Every morning on my way to work I almost run over a squirrel or two, because they're racing around so fast in the middle of the road, looking for the next nut burial spot.They ate our pumpkin too. Strangely, despite that and the two hammocks they've destroyed, I still sorta like them."

Fourth response (or bizarre pseudo-soliloquy number two), from Nina to others:
"i am prejudiced against squirrels as well. anyone else see the hysterical blackadder episode about squirrels? i love blackadder. or rather, i loved him."

Fifth response, from Jen A to Meghan (in a totally hopeless effort to stay on topic and answer the original question):
"crushed dried red thai pepper worked great for us (be careful not to get it on yourself! Stuff burns.) I crushed the peppers in an envelope and put it in a parmesan/pepper shaker with big holes. If what you are putting it on is a bit wet it will stick better. And they do a crazy spicy dance if they do eat it :-) Kept them off my succulents, they seemed to remember for a little while."

Sixth response, from Heather to others (immediately dashing Jen A's foolhardy attempts):
"Maybe the squirrels are crazy because we're going to have a hard winter.? "

Seventh response, from Claire to Heather (as Claire projects her authority):
"farmer's almanac says it's going to be extra cold and dry this winter. "

Eighth response, from Elizabeth to Claire (as Elizabeth breaks down):
"But I want lots of snow!!!"

Ninth response, from Claire to Elizabeth (with Claire, ever wise and calm, consoling Elizabeth):
"You must have that tantrum every year, living down here :) I miss snow. Sometimes I contemplate going to visit my friend in Boston in the depths of winter just to get a bit of "real" winter. "

Tenth response, from Elizabeth to Claire (as she reflects on a troubled past):
"Yes, we didn't even get a good ice storm last year to satisfy me a bit. The rest of my family is probably going up to St. Louis this holiday season in hopes of seeing some (if airfares drop a bit... eeks they're high!). I'm so freakin' jealous."

Eleventh response, from Samantha to others (chiming in with an inspirational and supportive message):
"DITTO! I want some frickin' snow!! At least it will be cold which will be nice...Guess DH will get to enjoy the snow at 7000+ feet in the Spring. "

Twelfth response, from Katrina to . . . the cosmos? (in the final of three bizarre pseudo-soliloquies):
"That would explain why my seasonal eczema is flaring up in a major way right now. I've got a great scaly patch in my eyebrow - it was perfect for Halloween, now not so much."

Thirteenth response, Meghan closes in a reflective tone:
"Will try- I hate the little boogers. Lived in a house out in Martindale with them in the attic. Owner didn't seem to care, but they drove us NUTS all winter long, come spring I pull out a pair of boots to wear, and they were full of pecans. That was the last straw. Had to move after that (and many other creepy old house issues) I can see them from the couch in the morning, if I walk up to the door, they turn their backs and I just know they are whistling, insert musical notes here-doo doo doo, we're not doing anything, doo doo doo- like I can't see them Standing on my plants. Lucas would get a kick out of seeing a spicy squirrel dance, maybe I can get it on camera .. .thanks for all the responses mamas!"

No comments: