Tuesday, October 14, 2008

The Birth of a Revolution

Some say blogs are bourgeois, WAY too mainstream for smarmy sophisticates such as myself. But No! I have found my inspiration! In this revolutionary endeavor, I hope to radically and fundamentally alter the structure of global (universal!) society. Every man, woman, child in utero, extra-terrestrial creature shall breathe the fresh, life-giving air of "liberte, egalite, and another, more gender-neutral 'ite' than the French originally iterated." [Where do they put the accents on these confounded machines anyway?] I have my sights set on justice.

All the amateur psychologists will think "He's clearly doing this because he wants to deflect attention from his unborn child and attract more attention for himself." Well, if you briefly can ignore the fact that these naysayers clearly don't have their sights set on justice, I will point out that I'm wowed and humbled by their insight. To that end, I also would add that this a seminal moment: it is the very first time that I consciously (or maybe I should say "explicitly") superimpose my dreams onto the embryonic ambitions of my child. (At this point, I think most of his/her ambitions are ridiculously myopic and self-serving, so to be honest, s/he could really use some guidance and direction). Maybe someday s/he will become the Post-Marxist subversive I always wanted to be.

By the way, I haven't even published this first post yet, and I'm already getting lots and lots of fan mail, or as we Blogonauts of the Blogosphere say, "Comments." This isn't scientific, but so far, I'd have to say the most common question is, "Why is your blog pink?" . . . "Are you a woman? Are you expecting a girl?" -- those are some typical follow-up hypotheses.

The answer is simple yet mysterious and elusive: Because pink is a lighter shade of red. The answer is also "alluring" and "quixotic." Or if the answer isn't quixotic, surely something about this post must be quixotic. Maybe I just realized that chances to use vocabulary like "quixotic" are rare, like Indonesian leopard cubs, and you must seize them whenever possible.

Until next time . . . Toodles! :) :) :) XOXOXO

No comments: